What Are The Adrenal Glands?
The adrenal glands are small glands located at the top of the kidneys.
They produce hormones that help the body:
- Regulate blood pressure
- React to stressors like a major illness or injury
- Control blood sugar
- Burn protein and fat
What Can Happen To The Adrenal Glands?
Various conditions can occur in the adrenal glands and lead to overproduction or underproduction of certain hormones.
Nodule(s) or lump(s) may form in the adrenal gland and sometimes the nodule(s) can result in overproduction of certain hormones.
What Symptoms May Indicate A Possible Adrenal Gland Disorder?
- High blood pressure that is difficult to control
- Low blood potassium level
- Fast heart beat, increased sweating, frequent headaches, anxiety
- Weight gain, thinning of skin (with easy bruising), high blood sugar levels
- Development of facial hair in a woman